Looking for bathroom ideas? Choosing a brand-new look isn’t easy. Whether you are looking to design or renovate a master bath, ensuite or powder room, the bathroom image gallery below is filled with inspiring ideas, including sleek showers, stunning vanities and relaxing tubs to help you on your journey. From modern and contemporary to glamorous and rustic, find stylish spaces to suit any style. For inspiration by individual area: home decorating images (all interior and exterior spaces), living rooms, dining rooms, bedrooms, kitchens, and beautiful outdoor areas.
Please check back as this gallery is in progress, and further images will be added shortly.
Sign up for the Buyer Select newsletter for the latest in home decorating ideas
Design Ideas Gallery Images
Bathroom Ideas: Tips
I remember when I was studying interior design at Ryerson, a professor pointed out that bathrooms are a significant expense when building and designing a home, and yet they are all too often overlooked. You will rarely see the return on investment when renovating another room in your home, besides the kitchen, as you will in investing in a beautifully designed bathroom. 75% to 100% of the outlay for these projects can be recovered upon resale. It can be as simple as adding new cabinets and countertops, redoing showers and tubs, or starting from scratch – renovating a bathroom can dramatically increase the value of your home.
“The kitchen and bathroom sell a house,” says Ken Perrin, president, Artistic Renovations, Cleveland, Ohio. “And most people buy the most expensive home they can afford. So they don’t want to buy a house with a kitchen or bathroom that need to be worked on. That emotional tie is with the house where the kitchen and bathroom are in good condition.”
Top 5 Reasons to Remodel your Bathroom
Source: Reef Builders Design/Build-Remodel
1) Increase your home’s value – Perhaps the greatest bathroom remodeling benefit is the increase in your home’s value. While it would be wonderful to get every dollar back from your renovation project, Remodeling Magazine estimates that U.S. homeowners will get an average of 71 cents back from every dollar they spend on remodeling or updating their bathroom. So not only will you get to enjoy all that goes with having a new bathroom, you’ll recoup a majority of your investment if you sell your home. And since potential buyers place great importance on a remodeled bathroom, those homes tend to sell more quickly than houses with an older, outdated bathroom.
2) Fixing existing problems – If you have broken or loose tile, leaking shower/tub valves, or cabinets that are falling to pieces. Anything that is leaking water can lead to mold in your home, and that is something that you definitely do not want.
3) You need more storage space – Perhaps your family has increased in size, or just your supply of linens and toiletries has. Either way, if your bathroom is overflowing with people or products, it’s time to redesign. Whether the bathroom requires the quick addition of a few cabinets or a complete bath remodel, the end result will be a more comfortable space that cuts down on clutter and gives every family member more convenience and privacy.
4) Creating your own personal escape – Nothing can be more relaxing or soothing than some quality time spent in your custom built shower or bathtub. Creating soothing lighting with warm colors can also be a great way to relax as you get ready for your day, or as you unwind from a busy day at the office or a hectic day with the kids.
5) You simply want a change. Sometimes the best reason to remodel your bathroom is because you aren’t happy with its current look. Perhaps you have redesigned other areas of your house and the bathroom doesn’t fit the color scheme anymore. Or maybe you want to incorporate a rustic or beachfront theme throughout every corner of your home. Regardless of the reasons, choosing a bath remodel is as simple as deciding to try something fresh and new.
“Bath renovations are always worth the money invested,” said Karen Gray-Plaisted of Design Solutions KGP in Warwick, N.Y. “If the home has good bones and quality finishes, the home seller will reap most, if not all, of the cost.”
Bathroom Design Ideas
Bathroom Ideas: Bathroom Storage
Real estate is at a premium in the bathroom, and smart storage solution is essential. In order to keep the room as a spa-like haven, it’s important to create a utilitarian space that keeps countertops clutter-free and items such as toiletries, shower supplies, and extra towels well organized.
“YOUR BATHING SPACE CAN BE AS BIG AS YOUR IMAGINATION. BRING IN PLENTY OF SOFT TEXTURES, COMFORTABLE
FURNISHINGS AND PERSONAL ACCENTS.”
Try and keep the small items that you use every day in highly accessible spots, such as a wall shelf or a vertical storage unit. Open shelves can hold baskets filled with soap, candles and extra towels. Display pretty perfume bottles, nail polish and luxury items on beautiful trays. Bigger items can be stored away in vanity cabinets and drawers.
Drawer dividers with compartments are a great investment and keep small items convenient to locate. Hooks and over the door hangers keep cords secure and are the perfect solution to keeping hair dryers and styling tools on hand.
Bathroom Ideas: Lighting
Lighting plays an important role in the bathroom. It provides the necessary light to get ready for the day or provides the ambiance to unwind in a hot bath at the end of the day. It also is a great way to unite the room’s overall design aesthetic.
“Light up your life: remember to consider the placement of any sources of natural light when planning your lighting layout. Use a mix of different light sources to create a stylish, layered look, and adjust the lighting of your space according to your needs. In addition to your main ceiling light or pendant light, incorporate a few vanity lights and wall-mounted lights for extra brightness whenever you need it. The separate lighting elements let you create a relaxed, intimate environment or a fully lit space to face the day at the flip of a switch.” – Pottery Barn
Whether you want your lighting to act as the focal point of the space, such as a glamorous chandelier, or blend in seamlessly to the décor, the right lighting can make your bathroom feel like an exclusive spa.
White lighting fixtures in an all-white bathroom create a clean and timeless look, while bold colors create a modern and contemporary feel.
Pendants are the perfect choice for rooms with high ceilings as they can easily be arranged to provide light where it’s needed.
Whatever lighting options you choose, it’s a good rule of thumb to consider introducing one or more large mirrors to help bounce the light and create the illusion of more space.
Bathroom Ideas: Decorate the wall with style
The shower curtain can make a large visual statement in a bathroom, but as with the rest of the rooms in your home, the walls in the bathroom can also provide an additional opportunity to make a statement. Whether its wallpaper or a fresh coat of pain, its easy to breath new life into your bathroom design.
Wall shelves are the perfect place to make use of your vertical space. By adding decorative items, small sculptures, wicker baskets and prettily packaged perfume and cosmetics, wall shelves provide space to create beautiful little vignettes.
Add decorative mirrors to provide the illusion of extra space and add instant glam.
In larger bathrooms, a well-designed gallery of art can instantly add pizzaz. It’s important to note that a bathroom produces a lot of moisture, and so it’s not a good place to display precious pieces. Stick with inexpensive pieces, such as works on canvas, or those without glass or glazing. Moisture can be kept at by keeping windows open when possible and using the exhaust fan.
Bathroom Ideas: Vanities
Vanities are an integral part of the bathroom design and work to add beauty to a space, as well as provide extra storage space. Whether your vanity blends in with your home’s architecture or stands out as a one of a kind piece of furniture, it can be a stunning focal point. No matter what direction you go with your bathroom vanity, this addition adds both style and function to your bath area.