Farmhouse Bedroom Ideas
Rustic Elegance: How to Achieve the Farmhouse Bedroom of Your Dreams
By Interior Designer, Tracy Svendsen | Published October 07, 2023
Farmhouse Bedroom Ideas: Welcome to the ultimate guide on transforming your bedroom into a cozy, charming farmhouse haven. With its rustic elegance and timeless appeal, farmhouse style has become popular for homeowners looking to create a warm and inviting atmosphere. Whether you live in a country cottage or a modern urban apartment, achieving the farmhouse bedroom of your dreams is within reach.
This article will show you how to embrace a farmhouse bedroom’s rustic charm and simple beauty. From selecting the right color palette and furniture to incorporating vintage accessories and natural elements, we will provide practical tips and creative ideas to bring the farmhouse aesthetic to life.
Discover how to create a serene and peaceful retreat combining modern comfort and vintage style. Learn about the key elements that define a farmhouse bedroom, such as weathered wood, neutral tones, and cozy textiles. Get inspired by stunning examples of farmhouse bedrooms that make you want to curl up with a good book and a cup of tea. Get ready to embark on a journey of rustic elegance and create the farmhouse bedroom you’ve always dreamed of. Let’s get started! Feature image above courtesy of Chango & Co.
A Space For Rest | All Items Shown in This Bedroom
Image courtesy of McGee & Co
Elements of a Farmhouse Bedroom
Distinct rustic and elegant elements characterize a farmhouse bedroom. To create this style in your bedroom, it’s essential to understand the key factors that define the farmhouse aesthetic.
1. Weathered Wood
One of the main features of a farmhouse bedroom is using weathered wood in flooring, furniture, and accent pieces. Weathered wood’s natural texture and color variations add warmth and character to the space. Look for reclaimed or distressed wood furniture to achieve an authentic farmhouse look.
Modern Rustic Farmhouse Bedroom
Image courtesy of Kara Childress Design
2. Neutral Tones
Farmhouse bedrooms typically have a neutral color palette that creates a serene and calming atmosphere. Shades of white, beige, cream, and gray are commonly used to achieve this look. These neutral tones provide a blank canvas for other elements in the room to shine, such as vintage accessories or pops of color.
3. Cozy Textiles
To make your farmhouse bedroom feel cozy and inviting, incorporate soft and comfortable textiles by adding plush rugs, linen curtains, and layered bedding. Opt for natural materials like cotton or linen for a more authentic farmhouse feel. Throw pillows and chunky knit blankets provide extra warmth and texture.
Sophisticated & Elegant Farmhouse Bedroom Designed by Katy Allen
Image courtesy of Gibeon Photography
In the master bedroom of this farmhouse home, an upholstered metal bed by Century Furniture is juxtaposed with a carved bench with a hair-on-hide seat from Thrive and Design in Atlanta. Found objects were repurposed in the lamps, which rest on metal nightstands by Made Goods. The rug is by Boga Oriental Rugs, and the draperies were made with Anna French Fabrics.
This neutral farmhouse bedroom combines masculine and feminine elements in a subtle and sophisticated design. The wood beams add rugged texture, and the eclectic seating at the end of the bed adds a creative and personal touch. When working with a neutral space, it’s important to incorporate coordinating patterns and textures to provide a unified feel to the space.
4. Industrial Accents
When considering industrial design, hard finishes and raw textures come to mind. However, the result is a sophisticated farmhouse style when paired with vintage wall signs and delicate textiles.
5. Exposed Brick
Exposed brick provides a raw texture that works perfectly in a farmhouse home style, adding texture and warmth. It’s a material that has a natural, rugged look that complements the rustic charm of farmhouse style.
The rough, uneven surface of brick walls creates an interesting visual contrast against the smoothness of other elements in the room, such as furniture or textiles. Additionally, brick walls can provide a cozy and intimate feel, especially with warm lighting and soft furnishings. Overall, exposed brick is versatile and timeless, adding character and depth to a farmhouse bedroom.
Farmhouse Bedroom Ideas
Image courtesy of Jaimee Rose Interiors
Graceful lines and a warm elegance embody this newest collaboration between the famed team Two Hawks Design & Development and Jaimee Rose Interiors. Completed in April 2019, this home’s timeless aesthetic and comfortable living spaces are what life in Arcadia proper is about. Carefully curated finishes like hand-painted wood beams, generous marble countertops, and lighting fixtures embellish each room to give the spaces their own unique look.
6. Soft Lighting
Soft lighting creates a cozy and relaxing atmosphere in a farmhouse bedroom. Consider using table lamps with warm light bulbs to create a soft glow that complements the rustic charm of the space.
You can also use wall sconces or pendant lights with dimmer switches to adjust the light level according to your mood. Adding candles or fairy lights can also provide a warm and inviting evening ambiance.
Farmhouse Primary Bedroom Ideas
Image courtesy of Jaimee Rose Interiors
7. Mixed Metals
Using mixed metals is a great way to add visual interest and create a unique, personalized look. Mixing metals can add warmth and texture to the room and create a balanced, cohesive design.
For example, you could pair copper accents with wrought iron elements or incorporate brass accessories with weathered wood furniture. Mixing metals is a fun way to experiment with different design styles and create a one-of-a-kind space that reflects your taste. Just make sure to use metals that complement each other and stay moderate with only a few different types of metals.
Modern farmhouse design mixes metallic textures such as iron, copper, brass, and chrome. Gunmetal grey metals are prevalent in farmhouse design, adding elegance and contrast.
Cozy Farmhouse Bedroom with Old-World Charm
Image courtesy of Blooming DIY-er
These images show the subtle difference that bedding can make in a bedroom. Both have a neutral palette, with the bedroom on the left bringing in warmer tones.
8. Greenery & Branches
Using greenery and branches is a great way to incorporate natural elements that bring the outdoors inside. Not only do they add a touch of rustic charm, but they also provide a sense of tranquility and calmness.
Greenery can be used in various ways, such as hanging potted plants or a simple vase of fresh flowers on a bedside table. Branches can be used as a decorative element by placing them in a vase or hanging them on the wall.
Using greenery and branches provides a curated feel. It is an easy way to add texture and visual interest to your farmhouse bedroom while staying true to the natural and organic sense of the style. These elements offer rustic and organic charm, from cotton buds to eucalyptus branches displayed in vintage glass jars and vases.
Tranquil Farmhouse Bedroom
Image courtesy of Locati Architects
A stunning farmhouse designed to respect the agricultural heritage of its surroundings by Locati Architects & Interiors is nestled below Ross Peak in the small community of Springhill, Montana. This tranquil farmhouse bedroom provides the perfect view to wake up each morning. The designer has created a serene retreat with rustic wood walls, warm wood flooring, and cozy linen bedding.
9. Reclaimed Objects
Reclaimed objects add to the rustic and vintage feel of the space. It’s an eco-friendly way to incorporate history and character into the room. Reclaimed wood from old barns or houses can be used for flooring or furniture, while old doors or windows can be turned into unique decor pieces.
These objects have a story and bring a sense of nostalgia and warmth to the room. Using reclaimed objects adds to a farmhouse bedroom’s overall charm and authenticity. Add a touch of vintage to the room with beaten-up wood boxes, glass vessels, and favorite flea market finds.
Farmhouse Bedroom with a Great Interplay of Pattern & Texture
Image courtesy of Pinterest
This image shows a gorgeous interplay of color, texture, and pattern with a great balance between white, black, and hues of golden-brown. It has an earthy, vibrant, and eclectic vibe not typical in traditional farmhouse bedrooms.
Elegant Farmhouse Bedroom
Image courtesy of Jaimee Rose Interiors
Another modern farmhouse bedroom with layers upon layers of texture. The use of black in this room grounds the space and contrasts perfectly with the wood floors, chunky throw, and textural pendant lighting.
10. Embrace Imperfections
Embracing imperfections is essential to achieving a farmhouse bedroom’s rustic charm. Imperfections add character and warmth to the space, creating a lived-in, inviting atmosphere.
Using weathered wood, distressed finishes, and vintage accessories with patina are great ways to incorporate imperfections into your bedroom design. These elements make the space feel authentic and timeless as if it has been part of the home for generations.
11. Play with Textures
Farmhouse bedrooms should have plenty of texture in textiles, furniture, and accessories. Be sure to include natural fiber rugs, cozy knitted blankets, and faux fur pillows. Wicker and rattan complement this design aesthetic; a few beautiful baskets or rattan accent chairs add warmth and charm.
Farmhouse Bedroom with Blue-Grey Hues
Image courtesy of Joanna Gaines
12. Shiplap Walls
Shiplap walls are popular in farmhouse-style bedrooms. They add texture and visual interest to the space while maintaining a simple, understated look. The horizontal boards create a timeless and classic feel reminiscent of traditional homes and farmhouses.
Shiplap walls also provide a sense of warmth and coziness, making them an ideal choice for bedrooms. They can be painted in various colors to match the room’s overall color scheme and paired with other natural elements like wood furniture and cozy textiles to create a cohesive and inviting farmhouse aesthetic.
Farmhouse Bedroom Ideas
Image courtesy of Joanna Gaines
Color Palette and Materials for a Rustic Yet Elegant Look
The color palette and materials you choose are crucial in achieving a rustic yet elegant farmhouse bedroom. You can create a space with charm and sophistication by selecting the right colors and materials.
Stick to neutral tones like whites, creams, grays, and beiges. These colors provide a timeless backdrop for your farmhouse bedroom and allow other elements, such as furniture and decor, to stand out. Consider using different shades of the same color to create depth and visual interest.
As for materials, opt for natural and organic choices that reflect the simplicity of farmhouse style. As mentioned, weathered wood is a must-have material for furniture and flooring. Additionally, incorporate other natural materials like jute, rattan, and wicker for a touch of rustic charm.
Consider incorporating metallic accents to add a touch of elegance to your farmhouse bedroom. Use copper, brass, or wrought-iron elements in light fixtures, drawer pulls, or decorative accessories to create a sophisticated look.
Furniture and Decor Choices for a Farmhouse Bedroom
Selecting the right furniture and decor is essential for creating an authentic farmhouse bedroom. Here are some choices that will help you achieve the desired rustic elegance:
1. Bedframe: Choose a bedframe made of weathered wood or wrought iron to anchor the farmhouse aesthetic. Look for headboards with intricate details or distressed finishes for added charm. Canopy beds or four-poster beds can also work well in a farmhouse bedroom.
2. Vintage Accessories: Incorporate vintage accessories that add character and nostalgia to your farmhouse bedroom. Look for antique mirrors, vintage signs, or old-fashioned clocks to bring a touch of history into the space. Flea markets and thrift stores are great places to find unique items with a rustic charm.
3. Farmhouse-style Lighting: Lighting plays a crucial role in setting the mood in any bedroom. Opt for farmhouse-style light fixtures like lantern-style pendant lights or vintage-inspired chandeliers. Consider adding dimmer switches to create a cozy ambiance in the evenings.
Lighting Options for a Farmhouse Bedroom
Proper lighting creates a cozy and inviting environment in a farmhouse bedroom. Consider these lighting options to enhance the rustic elegance of the space:
1. Natural Light: Maximize natural light by freeing your windows from heavy curtains or blinds. Opt for sheer or lightweight curtains that let in plenty of sunlight during the day to create a bright and airy feel in your bedroom.
2. Farmhouse-style Chandeliers: Hang a farmhouse-style chandelier in the center of your bedroom to make a statement. Look for fixtures with wrought-iron or distressed wood elements for an authentic farmhouse look. The warm glow of a chandelier will add a touch of elegance to your space.
3. Vintage-inspired Table Lamps: Place vintage-inspired table lamps on your nightstands to provide soft and warm lighting. Look for lamps with fabric shades or glass bases that complement the farmhouse aesthetic. Consider using Edison bulbs for a vintage touch.
Farmhouse Bedroom with Beaded Wood Chandelier
Image courtesy of Liz Marie Blog
Textiles and Bedding Choices for a Cozy Feel
Pay special attention to the textiles and bedding choices to create a cozy and inviting atmosphere in your farmhouse bedroom. Here’s how to achieve a comfortable and stylish look:
1. Layered Bedding: Create a luxurious and inviting bed by layering different textures and patterns. Start with a crisp white or neutral-colored duvet cover as the base. Add a quilt or coverlet in a contrasting color or pattern, then top it off with a chunky knit blanket or a faux fur throw for added coziness.
2. Soft and Plush Rugs: Place soft and plush rugs on the floor to add warmth and comfort to your farmhouse bedroom. Look for rugs made of natural materials like wool or cotton for a more authentic feel. Opt for neutral colors or subtle patterns that complement the overall color scheme.
3. Curtains and Window Treatments: Choose curtains and window treatments that enhance the farmhouse aesthetic. Opt for lightweight fabrics like linen or cotton in neutral tones. Consider using curtain rods of weathered wood or wrought iron to add a touch of rustic charm.
Farmhouse Bedroom with Weathered Wood Ceiling
Image courtesy of the DIY Mommy
Styling and Organizing Tips for a Farmhouse Bedroom
Styling and organizing your farmhouse bedroom can make a significant difference in creating a cohesive and welcoming space. Here are some tips to help you achieve the desired look:
1. Minimal Clutter: Keep your farmhouse bedroom clutter-free and organized. Storage baskets or vintage crates store extra blankets, pillows, or books. Utilize under-bed storage or a storage bench to keep your space tidy and functional.
2. Vintage-inspired Accessories: Display vintage-inspired accessories that reflect the farmhouse aesthetic. Hang a vintage-style mirror on the wall or place an antique vanity tray on your dresser. These small details can significantly impact your bedroom’s overall look and feel.
3. Fresh Flowers and Plants: Bring a touch of nature into your farmhouse bedroom by incorporating fresh flowers or plants. Place a vase of wildflowers on your nightstand or hang a macrame plant hanger from the ceiling. Not only will this add a pop of color, but it will also create a sense of freshness and vitality.
Neutral Farmhouse Bedroom with Vintage Chandelier
Image courtesy of Bridgeway Designs
Farmhouse Bedding Ideas
Farmhouse bedding is essential in achieving a farmhouse bedroom’s rustic elegance. To create a cozy and inviting space, consider the following farmhouse bedding ideas:
1. Linen Sheets: Linen sheets are a quintessential farmhouse bedding choice. They are soft and lightweight and give the bedroom a relaxed and casual feel. Look for linen sheets in neutral tones like white, beige, or gray to keep the farmhouse aesthetic.
2. Duvet Covers: Duvet covers are a great way to add color and pattern to your farmhouse bedroom. Choose a duvet cover in a simple design that complements the rest of your bedding and bedroom decor. Opt for floral prints or gingham patterns to add a touch of country charm.
3. Quilts: Quilts are a classic farmhouse bedding choice that adds warmth and texture to the space. Choose a soft, muted quilt and a simple design that complements your other bedding and decor. You can also layer quilts for extra warmth and texture.
4. Throw Pillows: Throw pillows are an easy way to add color and texture to your farmhouse bedding. Choose pillows in different sizes, shapes, and textures to create a layered and inviting look. Look for pillows in natural materials like linen, cotton, or wool for an authentic farmhouse feel.
5. Chunky Knit Blankets: Chunky knit blankets are a cozy and stylish addition to any farmhouse bedroom. They provide warmth and texture to the space while creating a relaxed and casual feel. Choose a chunky knit blanket in a neutral color to keep the farmhouse aesthetic. With these farmhouse bedding ideas, you can create a cozy, inviting space that exudes rustic elegance and timeless charm.
Modern Farmhouse Bedroom
Image courtesy of McGee & Co.
Modern Farmhouse Bedroom Ideas
Modern farmhouse style combines rustic elements with contemporary design for a fresh and inviting look. Here are some modern farmhouse bedroom ideas to inspire your next home project:
1. Simplistic Color Palette: Keep your color palette simple with neutral tones like white, beige, and gray. This will create a serene and calming atmosphere perfect for a modern farmhouse bedroom.
2. Statement Wall: Add interest to your bedroom by creating a statement wall with shiplap or wallpaper. Choose a bold pattern or texture to add a touch of modern flair to your farmhouse bedroom.
3. Contemporary Furniture: Incorporate sleek and modern furniture pieces into your farmhouse bedroom for a contemporary touch. Look for clean lines, black metal accents, and wood finishes for a modern farmhouse look.
4. Mixed Metals: Add interest and texture to your bedroom by incorporating mixed metals. Combine black metal with copper, brass, or gold accents for a modern, sophisticated look.
5. Natural Materials: Use natural materials like wood, jute, and linen to create a cozy and inviting space. Mix and match textures and materials to add depth and visual interest to your modern farmhouse bedroom.
6. Minimalist Decor: Keep your decor simple and minimalist to achieve a modern farmhouse look. Choose a few statement pieces, such as a large artwork or a vintage rug, to add character to your space without overwhelming it.
With these modern farmhouse bedroom ideas, you can create a cozy, inviting space combining rustic charm and contemporary design.
Warm & Cozy Farmhouse Primary Bedroom
Image courtesy of Amber Interiors
Farmhouse Bedroom Wall Decor Ideas
Your bedroom walls are a blank canvas waiting to be filled with rustic charm and farmhouse elegance. Here are some ideas on how to add character and style to your space with farmhouse bedroom wall decor:
1. Shiplap Walls: Shiplap walls are a hallmark of the farmhouse style and are perfect for creating a cozy and inviting atmosphere. Wood’s natural texture and warmth make shiplap an excellent choice for accent walls or entire room treatments. Consider painting shiplap walls in a neutral color like white or gray to maintain a cohesive look.
2. Gallery Wall: A gallery wall is a perfect way to personalize your farmhouse bedroom and showcase your personality. Choose a mix of vintage and modern artwork, framed family photos, and antique mirrors to create a unique display. You can create a gallery wall using a variety of frames or all the same for a cohesive look.
3. Antique Signs: Antique signs are popular for farmhouse bedroom wall decor. Look for vintage signs with inspirational quotes, farm-related sayings, or old-fashioned advertisements. You can also create your signs using reclaimed wood and stencils.
4. Woven Baskets: Woven baskets are a farmhouse staple and can be used as wall decor to add texture and warmth to your space. Hang a collection of baskets in different shapes and sizes to create a unique display. Use them to store blankets or pillows for an added functional touch.
5. Wall Sconces: Wall sconces are a great way to add farmhouse charm and ambient lighting to your bedroom. Choose sconces with rustic finishes like wrought iron or distressed wood. You can also use mason jars or vintage-style light bulbs for a touch of nostalgia.
These are just a few ideas for adding farmhouse charm to your bedroom walls. Remember, keeping it simple and using natural materials and neutral tones is vital to achieving a cohesive and inviting look.
Wheaton Modern Farmhouse Bedding
DIY Projects to add Rustic Charm to your Bedroom
If you’re feeling creative, plenty of DIY projects can help you add rustic charm to your bedroom. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
1. DIY Headboard: Use reclaimed wood or pallets to create a custom headboard. Sand and stain the wood to achieve a weathered look, then attach it to the wall behind your bed. This DIY project will instantly add rustic charm to your farmhouse bedroom.
2. Mason Jar Sconces: Transform mason jars into charming wall sconces by attaching them to reclaimed wood. Insert votive candles or fairy lights into the jars for a cozy and romantic ambiance. Hang these sconces on either side of your bed for a farmhouse-inspired touch.
3. Repurposed Furniture: Give old furniture a new lease on life by repurposing it with a farmhouse twist. Paint an old dresser with a distressed finish, or turn an old ladder into a unique shelving unit.
Farmhouse Primary Bedroom
Image courtesy of Arhaus Furniture & Decor
Farmhouse Bedroom Ideas Conclusion:
Bringing rustic elegance to your bedroom
Creating the farmhouse bedroom of your dreams is about embracing rustic charm and simple beauty. You can transform your bedroom into a cozy and inviting retreat by selecting the right color palette, furniture, and decor. Remember to incorporate natural materials, vintage accessories, and cozy textiles to achieve the authentic farmhouse look.
With the practical tips and creative ideas in this article, you now have the tools to embark on a journey of rustic elegance. Get inspired by the stunning examples of farmhouse bedrooms and start bringing the farmhouse aesthetic to life in your own space. Whether you live in a country cottage or a modern urban apartment, you can achieve the farmhouse bedroom of your dreams. Happy decorating!
In the main bedroom of this farmhouse home, an upholstered metal bed by Century Furniture is juxtaposed with a carved bench with a hair-on-hide seat from Thrive and Design in Atlanta. Found objects were repurposed in the lamps, resting on a metal nightstand by Made Goods. The rug is by Boga Oriental Rugs, and the draperies were made with Anna French Fabrics.
This neutral farmhouse bedroom combines masculine and feminine elements in a subtle and sophisticated design. The wood beams add rugged texture, and the eclectic seating at the end of the bed adds a creative and personal touch. When working with a neutral space, it’s essential to incorporate coordinating pattern and texture to provide a unified feel.
Step into the laid-back allure of California cool and infuse it effortlessly into your home decor. From the sun-soaked shores of Malibu to the vibrant streets of Los Angeles, the essence of California's effortless, eclectic style can grace your living space. Embrace the organic textures, earthy tones, and a blend of indoor-outdoor elements that define California's signature aesthetic.
There are many different interior design styles, and choosing one that resonates with us as individuals can be challenging. Each style has its distinct features and can be customized to fit your taste and lifestyle. Whether you prefer a cozy farmhouse vibe or a sleek and modern look, there is a design style that can help you create the home of your dreams.
Welcome to the vibrant world of interior design, where color becomes a powerful tool for transforming a space. This article will explore the art of decorating with color and discover how it can breathe life into your home.
Step into a world of timeless elegance with the transformative power of white. An alluring canvas for creativity, white is more than just a color—it's a statement. From the serene tranquility, it brings to a space to its ability to reflect an abundance of natural light, white holds the unmatched potential to breathe new life into your home.
Create a home that exudes sleekness and glamour with the following modern decorating ideas. Whether you’re a minimalist seeking a refined aesthetic or a trendsetter looking to make a statement, this article will guide you through transforming your home into a chic and sophisticated haven.
Prepare to transform your Christmas tree into a dazzling masterpiece that will leave everyone in awe. Decorating your tree is not just about hanging ornaments and stringing lights; it’s an art form that requires careful thought and creativity. In this ultimate guide, we will take you through the step-by-step process of decorating your Christmas tree like a pro.