10 Urban Earthy Interior Decorating Ideas to Bring Nature Indoors
By Interior Designer Tracy Svendsen | Published on August 18, 2016 | Updated on December 29, 2023
Step into a world where the raw beauty of nature harmonizes with the modern urban setting. Here, you will find urban, earthy decorating ideas that will bring the essence of nature indoors.
Urban, earthy & au naturel, these stunning spaces accomplish their balance and sophistication through layering textures, keeping color schemes to a minimum, and incorporating organic and monochromatic accents. If you are designing a monochromatic color scheme based on neutrals, it works well to tailor your neutral scheme to harmonize with the neutral colors that already exist in the room.
Whether you live in a small apartment or a spacious loft, there are countless ways to infuse the earthy charm of nature into your home. From incorporating natural materials like wood and stone to bringing in an abundance of plants and greenery, these design ideas embrace the concept of biophilic design, which aims to reconnect humans with the natural world.
With a focus on sustainable living and a desire to create a sense of tranquility within our hectic urban lives, urban earthy design transforms your space into a sanctuary that brings a touch of nature indoors. Feature image courtesy of Lucas Interior.
Urban Earthy Interior Design
Image courtesy of The Brooklyn Home Company
What is Urban Earthy Design?
Urban earthy interior design is a design style that seeks to bring the outdoors inside by incorporating natural elements and textures into urban living spaces. It is about creating a harmonious balance between modern aesthetics and the organic beauty of nature.
By incorporating elements such as wood, stone, and plants, urban earthy interior design creates a warm, inviting, and grounded space. This design style is not limited to any specific type of space, making it versatile and adaptable to various urban settings, whether a small apartment or a spacious loft.
In addition to aesthetics, urban earthy interior design emphasizes sustainability and eco-friendly practices. By incorporating natural materials and embracing sustainable living, this design style allows individuals to create a space that not only looks beautiful but also contributes to a healthier and more environmentally conscious lifestyle.
Urban Eclectic Living Room
Image courtesy of Betsy Brown Inc.
Benefits of Incorporating Nature Into Interior Design
Incorporating nature into interior design offers many benefits for our physical and mental well-being. Research has shown that exposure to nature and natural elements positively impacts our health, reducing stress levels, improving productivity, and promoting happiness.
By bringing nature indoors through urban earthy interior design, we can create a space that promotes relaxation and tranquility in our busy urban lives. The presence of natural elements such as wood and plants has a calming effect on our mind and body, helping us to feel more connected to the natural world.
In addition to the psychological benefits, incorporating nature into interior design also has practical advantages. Natural materials like wood and stone are known for their durability and longevity, making them a sustainable and long-lasting choice for furniture and decor.
Urban Earthy Interior Design Trends
Urban earthy interior design is a continuously evolving design style that embraces current trends while staying true to its core principles. Here are some of the latest trends in urban earthy interior design:
1. Minimalistic Approach: Urban earthy design often takes a minimalistic approach, focusing on simplicity and clean lines to allow natural elements to take center stage and create a sense of calm and serenity.
Minimalistic Living Room
Image courtesy of Lucas Interior
2. Biophilic Design: Biophilic design is a key trend in urban earthy interior design. It involves incorporating elements of nature, such as plants, water features, and natural light, to create a space that mimics the natural environment.
Urban Earthy Living Room with Natural Elements
Image courtesy of Abisola Omole
3. Sustainable Materials: With a focus on sustainability, urban earthy design prioritizes using eco-friendly materials, such as reclaimed wood, bamboo, and recycled materials. This reduces the environmental impact and adds a unique and rustic touch to the space.
Decorating with Sustainable Materials | Meaghan Cox Design
Image courtesy of Rip & Tan Blog
4. Earthy Color Palette: The color palette in urban earthy design often includes earthy tones such as brown, green, and beige shades. These colors create a warm and inviting atmosphere reminiscent of natural landscapes.
Urban Earthy Interior Design | Decorating with Earth Tones
Image courtesy of West of Main
5. Textures and Patterns: Incorporating textures and patterns inspired by nature is another popular trend in urban earthy design. Achieve this by using materials like rattan, jute, and sisal and patterns that mimic natural elements like leaves and branches.
Decorating with Pattern & Texture
Image courtesy of Betsy Brown Inc.
Choosing the Right Color Palette for an Urban Earthy Look
The color palette is vital in creating an urban, earthy look in your interior design. Earth tones are the foundation of this design style, evoking a sense of warmth, tranquility, and connection to nature. Here are some tips for choosing the right color palette:
1. Embrace Earthy Tones: Opt for shades of brown, green, beige, and tan. These colors create a natural and serene ambiance that mimics the outdoors.
2. Layer Different Shades: Experiment with different shades and tones within the earthy color palette to add depth and dimension to the space, creating visual interest and a more nuanced design.
3. Contrast with Neutral Colors: Balance the earthy tones with neutral colors like white, cream, and gray. These neutral colors provide a clean, modern backdrop that makes the earthy elements stand out.
4. Add Pops of Color: While earthy tones dominate in this design style, don’t be afraid to add pops of color to create focal points and visual interest. Consider incorporating vibrant hues like deep blues or burnt oranges through accent pieces or artwork.
5. Consider Natural Light: Natural light can significantly impact your space’s color palette. Consider the direction of sunlight and how it interacts with the colors in your interior design. Natural light can enhance the warmth and vibrancy of earthy tones, creating a more inviting atmosphere.
Urban Earthy Interior Design
Image courtesy of Nicole Green Design House
Furniture & Home Decor
The goal of furniture and decor elements for an urban earthy vibe is to find pieces that seamlessly blend modern aesthetics with natural materials and textures. Here are some key elements to consider:
1. Natural Wood Furniture: Incorporate natural wood, such as oak, walnut, or teak. These types of wood add warmth and character to the space and provide durability and longevity.
2. Rustic Elements: Introduce rustic elements to add a touch of earthiness to your interior design. Consider using furniture with distressed finishes, reclaimed wood pieces, or vintage items with a weathered look.
3. Organic Textiles: Choose natural fibers, such as cotton, linen, or jute. These materials add texture and a sense of coziness to the space. Look for rugs, curtains, and throw blankets with earthy colors and patterns.
4. Wicker and Rattan: Incorporate wicker or rattan furniture and decor pieces to bring a touch of nature indoors. These materials provide a light and airy feel, perfect for creating a relaxed and inviting atmosphere.
5. Stone Accents: Introduce stone accents through elements like coffee tables, countertops, or fireplace surrounds. Stone adds a sense of solidity and natural beauty to the space, creating a focal point that draws the eye.
6. Natural Fabrics: Choose upholstery fabrics with a natural look and feel, such as linen or leather. These fabrics age beautifully and develop a unique patina, adding character to your furniture.
Natural materials and textures to Include in the Design
Incorporating natural materials and textures is key to achieving an urban, earthy interior design. These elements add depth, warmth, and a sense of connection to nature. Here are some natural materials and textures to consider:
1. Wood: Wood is one of the most prominent natural materials in urban earthy design. Opt for furniture, flooring, or wall paneling made from natural wood to add warmth and character to your space.
2. Stone: Stone is another material that brings a sense of solidity and natural beauty to an urban earthy interior. Consider incorporating stone accents through countertops, backsplashes, or fireplace surrounds.
3. Brick: Exposed brick walls add texture and an industrial touch to an urban earthy interior design. The rough and weathered look of brick creates a unique backdrop that blends well with organic elements.
4. Natural Fibers: Natural fibers like jute, sisal, and seagrass add texture and a sense of coziness to the space. Use these materials for rugs, baskets, or wall hangings to introduce organic textures.
5. Leather: Leather is a timeless material that adds a touch of sophistication to an urban earthy interior. Incorporate leather furniture or accessories to create a sense of luxury and comfort.
6. Terracotta: Terracotta is a versatile material that can be used in various forms, such as tiles, pottery, or planters. Its warm and earthy tone adds a rustic charm to the space.
7. Concrete: Concrete is an industrial material used in urban earthy interior design to create a modern and minimalist look. It adds a sense of rawness and urban edge to the space.
Decorating with Natural Materials
Image courtesy of Birgit Klein
Indoor Plants and Greenery for a Nature-Inspired Space
Indoor plants and greenery are essential elements of an urban, earthy interior design as they bring the vibrancy and freshness of nature into your space. Here are some tips for incorporating indoor plants and greenery in a nature-inspired way:
1. Choose a Variety of Plants: Mix and match different types of plants to create visual interest and mimic the diversity of nature. Consider plants with different leaf shapes, sizes, and textures to add depth and dimension to your space.
2. Incorporate Hanging Plants: Hanging plants not only save space but also add an element of verticality to your interior design. Hang plants from the ceiling or use wall-mounted planters to create a stunning display.
3. Create a Focal Point: Use a large statement plant as a focal point in your space. A tall and dramatic plant, such as a fiddle-leaf fig or a monstera, can instantly transform the atmosphere and become the room’s centerpiece.
4. Group Plants Together: Grouping plants creates a lush and tropical ambiance. Place plants of different heights and sizes on shelves, side tables, or plant stands to create a visually appealing arrangement.
5. Consider Low-Maintenance Plants: If you have a busy lifestyle or lack a green thumb, opt for low-maintenance plants that require minimal care. Succulents, snake plants, and pothos are excellent choices for beginners.
6. Use Planters as Decorative Elements: Choose planters that complement your interior design style. Consider using unique and stylish planters made from ceramic, terracotta, or woven baskets to add an extra layer of visual interest.
7. Place Plants Near Natural Light Sources: Most indoor plants thrive when placed near natural light sources. Consider the light requirements of each plant and position them accordingly, near windows or skylights, to ensure they receive adequate sunlight.
Decorating with Plants | Sheila Bouttier’s Home
Image courtesy of Rip & Tan
Urban Earthy Interior Design | Chambers Design
Image courtesy of Rip & Tan Blog
Lighting and Natural Light Considerations
Lighting is crucial in creating the right ambiance in an urban, earthy interior design. Natural light is essential as it enhances the warmth and organic feel of the space. Here are some lighting considerations:
1. Maximize Natural Light: Make the most of natural light by keeping windows unobstructed and using sheer curtains or blinds that allow sunlight to filter through. Natural light illuminates the space and enhances the colors and textures of natural materials.
2. Layer Lighting: Create a layered lighting scheme by combining different types of lighting, such as ambient, task, and accent lighting. This allows you to adjust the lighting levels according to different activities and moods.
3. Warm and Soft Lighting: Opt for warm and soft lighting to create a cozy and inviting atmosphere. Choose light bulbs with a lower color temperature, such as warm white or soft white, to mimic the warm glow of natural light.
4. Incorporate Natural Materials: Use lighting fixtures made from natural materials, such as wood or rattan, to add an earthy touch to your space. These materials uniquely diffuse light, creating a warm and inviting ambiance.
5. Highlight Focal Points: Use accent lighting to highlight focal points in your interior design, such as artwork, plants, or architectural features. This draws attention to specific elements and adds depth and visual interest to the space.
6. Dimmers and Smart Lighting: Install dimmer switches or use smart lighting systems that allow you to adjust the brightness and color temperature of the lights. This gives you greater control over the ambiance and allows you to create different moods throughout the day.
Urban Earthy Decorating Ideas Conclusion
Urban Earthy Interior Design offers a refreshing and sustainable approach to interior decorating, allowing us to reconnect with nature and create a cozy and inviting space. Whether you incorporate natural materials, plants, or patterns inspired by nature, the key is to strike a balance between modern aesthetics and the organic beauty of nature.
By embracing earthy tones, textures, and sustainable materials, you can create a space that not only looks beautiful but also promotes a healthy and eco-friendly lifestyle. So, bring a touch of nature indoors and transform your space into a sanctuary with these Urban Earthy Interior Decorating Ideas.
Few things are as perfect as a well-appointed gallery wall. No wonder it's an interior designer's go-to solution. An art or photo gallery wall provides the ability to create a flexible and customizable narrative that can be added to and improved over time.
The bathroom of your dreams can easily be achieved by taking cues from the sophistication and timeless appeal of luxury spas and saunas. Creating a home spa is the perfect way to provide a tranquil retreat that promotes good health and well-being while reducing stress.
Urban, earthy & au naturel, these stunning spaces accomplish their balance and sophistication through layering textures, keeping color schemes to a minimum, and incorporating organic and monochromatic accents. Here, you will find urban, earthy decorating ideas that will bring the essence of nature indoors.
Step into the laid-back allure of California cool and infuse it effortlessly into your home decor. From the sun-soaked shores of Malibu to the vibrant streets of Los Angeles, the essence of California's effortless, eclectic style can grace your living space. Embrace the organic textures, earthy tones, and a blend of indoor-outdoor elements that define California's signature aesthetic.
There are many different interior design styles, and choosing one that resonates with us as individuals can be challenging. Each style has its distinct features and can be customized to fit your taste and lifestyle. Whether you prefer a cozy farmhouse vibe or a sleek and modern look, there is a design style that can help you create the home of your dreams.
Step back in time and add a touch of nostalgia to your home with these charming vintage decorating ideas. Vintage decor is a timeless trend reflecting our appreciation for the past. From antique furniture to retro-inspired accessories, there are countless ways to infuse your space with vintage charm.