Modern Coastal Bedroom Ideas
By Interior Designer Tracy Svendsen | Published October 18, 2018 | Updated December 26, 2023
Step into a coastal oasis without leaving the comfort of your own home. Creating a serene coastal getaway in your bedroom is easier than you think. With the following modern coastal bedroom ideas, you can transform your space into a relaxing retreat that evokes the tranquility of the ocean.
Imagine waking up to the soothing sound of waves crashing while surrounded by calming hues of blue and white. The coastal style embraces natural textures, light colors, and an airy atmosphere, making it perfect for turning your bedroom into a peaceful haven. Whether you live by the beach or miles from the coast, you can bring the coastal vibes into your home.
The project featured in the images below is of my modern coastal bedroom. Although it’s a general rule of thumb to keep the design consistent throughout a home, I wanted to design a primary bedroom that felt like a private retreat from the rest of the house with a unique color palette.
We live in a beautiful coastal city with a ten-minute drive to two beautiful beaches. I wanted a space that brought to mind our area’s ocean, sand, and beautiful skyline expanse. Having purchased a new home, I wanted to try something different, incorporating gorgeous shades of blue that would contrast with crisp white bedding and silver accents.
I always start with a ‘vision board’ for myself and my clients, as it’s the easiest way to show the initial concept and design intent. I save product images from various online stores and arrange them using Adobe Photoshop. It’s a great way to develop a sophisticated palette. You can see how the print of the abstract seagulls led to the choice of fabric and decor.
Using Artwork as Inspiration
I love starting the design stage using artwork as inspiration. I found this beautiful print online called ‘Serenity’ by Angela Maritz, an artist from New Zealand’s North Island. She experiments with her medium, finding exquisite beauty in raw, earthy, organic color and the brilliance of a bright, powerful, and expressive palette.
I was immediately drawn to the print, as I loved the abstract interpretation of seagulls on the beach. It also has a calm and soothing vibe – perfect for a bedroom. The print was relatively inexpensive, but I had it custom framed with high-end matting and a gorgeous wide silver frame that added to the expense.
The print is also available pre-framed, which is much more cost-efficient. I chose silver as I had already purchased silver bedside lamps, vases, and display trays. I used the print to determine the palette of the entire room, including the window treatment, fabric, and décor.
The dresser below the print was refinished using Ralph Lauren paint. It used to be dark and looked somewhat dated. This denim refresh works well in the space and picks up some of the blue shades in the artwork.
I wanted to step away from a traditional coastal approach as my aesthetic runs toward modernity. I also wanted bold and eclectic patterns in shades of indigo, denim, softer blue hues, woven baskets, and organic and textural elements. Making a bedroom cozy is easy by adding throw pillows, warm blankets, complementary artwork, décor, and a few plants.
Key Elements of Modern Coastal Bedroom Design
The coastal aesthetic is all about embracing the natural beauty of the ocean and its surroundings. Here are some key elements to consider when designing your coastal-inspired bedroom:
1. Light and Airy: Coastal design is characterized by an open and airy feel. Maximize natural light by using sheer curtains or blinds that allow sunlight to filter through. Opt for light-colored walls and furniture to create a sense of spaciousness. Avoid heavy drapes or dark colors that make the room feel smaller and more enclosed.
2. Natural Textures: Coastal design embraces natural textures to bring the outdoors in. Incorporate rattan, jute, and seagrass into your bedroom furniture and accessories. These materials add warmth and depth to the space. Consider using a jute rug, a rattan headboard, or seagrass baskets for storage.
3. Nautical Elements: Use nautical-themed artwork or decorative items to enhance the coastal vibe. However, be mindful not to overdo it – a few well-placed nautical accents can go a long way in creating the desired effect.
Choosing the Right Color Scheme
The right colors can evoke a sense of calmness and tranquility reminiscent of the ocean and sandy beaches. Here are some color palettes to consider for your coastal-inspired bedroom:
1. Cool Blues and Whites: Cool blues and whites are the classic colors associated with coastal design. These colors mimic the shades of the ocean and create a fresh and serene ambiance. Opt for light blue walls or a white color scheme with blue accents for a timeless coastal look. Consider using different shades of blue, from pale aqua to deep navy, to add depth and interest to the space.
2. Neutral Sands and Whites: If you prefer a more subtle coastal vibe, consider a neutral color palette inspired by sandy beaches. Use beige, cream, and white shades to create a calm, soothing space. These colors work well with natural textures and give your bedroom a rustic coastal charm. Add pops of color with accessories like throw pillows or artwork to bring visual interest to the space.
3. Pastel Hues: For a softer and more whimsical coastal look, consider using pastel hues in your bedroom. Soft pinks, mint greens, and light yellows can create a dreamy and romantic atmosphere. These colors work particularly well in a shabby chic or bohemian coastal bedroom. Pair pastel walls with white furniture and natural textures for a fresh and feminine coastal retreat.
Remember, the key to choosing the right color scheme is to create a sense of calmness and relaxation. Stick to light and muted colors that evoke the coastal vibe, and avoid bold or dark colors that can be overwhelming in a bedroom setting.
Furniture and Accessories for a Modern Coastal Look
Remember the overall theme of simplicity and minimalism when selecting furniture and accessories for your modern coastal bedroom. Choose pieces that are light in color and have clean lines to create a sense of openness. Here are some furniture and accessory ideas to consider:
1. Bed Frame: Opt for a bed frame made of light-colored wood, or choose a white or rattan bed frame for a more coastal feel. A simple and streamlined design will create a serene and modern look.
2. Dresser and Nightstands: Choose dressers and nightstands in light-colored wood or white to match the coastal aesthetic. Look for pieces with clean lines and minimal hardware for a modern coastal look. Consider incorporating woven or rattan elements to add texture and depth to the furniture.
3. Bedding: Select bedding in light and airy fabrics, such as cotton or linen, in shades of white, blue, or neutral tones. Opt for crisp white sheets and layer with lightweight blankets or duvets in coastal-inspired patterns, such as stripes or seashells. Add throw pillows in different shades of blue or with nautical motifs for a pop of color and texture.
4. Seating Area: If you have enough space, create a cozy seating area in your bedroom. Choose a comfortable armchair or a small loveseat in a light-colored fabric. This seating area will provide a relaxing spot to read or enjoy a cup of coffee while adding visual interest to the room.
5. Mirrors: Mirrors are essential in a coastal-inspired bedroom, reflecting light and creating a sense of openness. Choose a large mirror with a light-colored frame to hang above the dresser, or place it on the wall opposite a window to maximize natural light. Mirrors also help create the illusion of a larger space, making your bedroom feel more spacious and airy.
Incorporating these furniture and accessory ideas will help you achieve a modern coastal look in your bedroom. Remember to keep the overall design simple and minimalistic, focusing on light colors, natural textures, and clean lines.
Incorporating Natural Elements
Bringing natural elements into your coastal bedroom is essential to create an authentic and serene space. The goal is to mimic the beauty of the ocean and its surroundings. Here are some ideas on how to incorporate natural elements into your coastal-inspired bedroom:
1. Seashells and Driftwood: Seashells and driftwood are quintessential coastal elements that can easily be incorporated into your bedroom decor. Display seashells in glass jars or bowls on your dresser or nightstand.
Use driftwood as a decorative element by placing it on a shelf or hanging it on the wall. These natural treasures will add a touch of beachy charm to your space.
2. Plants and Greenery: Adding plants and greenery to your coastal bedroom will bring life and freshness into the space. Choose plants that thrive in a bedroom environment, such as snake plants or peace lilies.
Place them on a windowsill or dresser, or hang them from the ceiling using macrame plant hangers. The vibrant green color of the plants will complement the coastal color palette and create a calm and relaxing ambiance.
3. Natural Fabrics: Use natural fabrics, such as linen or cotton, for your curtains, bedding, and throw pillows. These fabrics are light and breezy, perfect for creating a modern coastal vibe.
Opt for curtains in a sheer or lightweight fabric to allow natural light to filter through. Choose bedding with a subtle texture, such as a linen duvet cover or a cotton waffle blanket, to add depth to the space.
4. Woven Baskets: Woven baskets are practical for storage and add a natural and textural element to your coastal bedroom. Use them to store extra blankets, pillows, or your favorite beach reads.
Place a large woven basket at the foot of your bed, or use smaller baskets as decorative accents on shelves or dressers. These baskets will enhance the coastal vibe while keeping your space organized.
Incorporating these natural elements into your coastal bedroom will help create a connection to the outdoors and bring a sense of tranquility and serenity to your space. Remember to keep the overall design cohesive and balanced by using these elements sparingly.
Tips for Creating a Serene and Relaxing Modern Coastal Bedroom
Creating a serene and relaxing atmosphere in your coastal bedroom is essential to enjoying the coastal retreat experience. Here are some tips to help you achieve a calming ambiance in your space:
2. Soft Lighting: Lighting is crucial in creating a calming atmosphere. Opt for soft and warm lighting instead of harsh overhead lights. Use table lamps with soft, diffused shades or install dimmer switches to control the brightness.
Consider adding string lights or fairy lights for a magical and cozy ambiance. Candlelight is also an excellent option for creating a soothing atmosphere; just be sure to practice safety precautions.
3. Sound of Nature: Incorporate the soothing sounds of nature into your bedroom. Invest in a white noise machine or a small tabletop fountain to create a calming background noise.
Alternatively, you can play nature sounds like ocean waves or rainforest sounds to create a serene and peaceful environment. These sounds will help drown out any external noise and promote a restful sleep.
4. Aromatherapy: Scents have a powerful effect on our mood and well-being. To create a calming atmosphere, use essential oils or scented candles in refreshing and relaxing scents, such as lavender, eucalyptus, or sea breeze.
Diffuse the oils or light the candles before bedtime to promote relaxation and restful sleep. Just be sure to choose high-quality, natural products to avoid adverse reactions.
Following these tips can create a serene and relaxing atmosphere in your coastal bedroom. Remember, the goal is to create a space that promotes tranquility and allows you to unwind after a long day.
Lighting Ideas for a Modern Coastal-Inspired Bedroom
Lighting is an essential aspect of coastal-inspired bedroom design. It sets the mood and enhances the overall ambiance of the space. Here are some lighting ideas to consider for your coastal retreat:
1. Natural Light: Maximize natural light in your coastal bedroom by keeping windows unobstructed and using sheer curtains or blinds that allow sunlight to filter through. Natural light not only creates a bright and airy atmosphere but also enhances the coastal vibe by mimicking the light and warmth of the sun. Arrange your furniture to maximize the natural light and create a seamless connection with the outdoors.
2. Soft, Diffused Lighting: Use soft, diffused lighting to create a cozy and relaxing atmosphere in the evening—place table lamps with soft, diffused shades on your nightstands or side tables.
Opt for warm white or soft yellow bulbs to create a welcoming glow. Consider installing dimmer switches to control the brightness and create a more versatile lighting setup.
3. Accent Lighting: Accent lighting highlights specific areas or objects in your coastal bedroom. Install wall sconces or picture lights to illuminate artwork or decorative pieces.
Use LED strip lights under your bed frame or behind shelves to create a soft and indirect glow. Accent lighting adds depth and visual interest to the space, creating a cozy and inviting ambiance.
4. Coastal-Inspired Light Fixtures: Choose light fixtures that embrace the coastal aesthetic. Look for fixtures made of natural materials like rattan, woven fibers, or driftwood.
Consider pendant lights with open-weave shades or chandeliers with shell or coral-inspired designs. These light fixtures will provide functional lighting and serve as decorative elements that enhance the coastal vibe.
By incorporating these lighting ideas into your coastal-inspired bedroom, you can create a warm and inviting atmosphere that mimics the natural light and warmth of the coast. Remember to balance functionality and aesthetics, ensuring that the lighting enhances the space’s overall design.
Adding Finishing Touches: Textiles, Artwork, and Decorative Accents
The finishing touches are what ties the whole coastal-inspired bedroom together. Textiles, artwork, and decorative accents add personality and visual interest to the space. Choose textiles that evoke a coastal vibe and add texture to your bedroom. Opt for light and airy curtains in sheer or lightweight fabrics that allow natural light to filter through. Layer your bed with soft, luxurious bedding in shades of blue, white, or sandy neutrals. Add throw pillows in different sizes and textures, such as linen, cotton, or even faux fur, to create depth
Conclusion: Modern Coastal Bedroom Ideas
When creating a modern coastal bedroom, the right color palette is essential. Start by selecting hues that reflect the colors of the ocean, such as shades of blue, green, and white.
These colors will instantly create a sense of calm and tranquility in your space. Consider using a light blue or aqua shade for the walls to mimic the color of the water. Pair it with crisp white trim and ceilings to create a fresh and airy feel.
Incorporate natural textures in your bedroom to add depth and interest to your color palette. Consider using sandy beige or driftwood gray as accent colors for furniture, curtains, or rugs.
These earthy tones will evoke the feeling of being at the beach while maintaining a modern and sophisticated look. Mix and match shades within your palette to create a layered, cohesive look.
To tie everything together, add pops of color with accessories such as throw pillows, artwork, or decorative accents. Choose vibrant shades of coral, turquoise, or yellow to create a lively and energetic atmosphere. These accents add visual interest and create a focal point in your coastal-inspired bedroom.
Few things are as perfect as a well-appointed gallery wall. No wonder it's an interior designer's go-to solution. An art or photo gallery wall provides the ability to create a flexible and customizable narrative that can be added to and improved over time.
The bathroom of your dreams can easily be achieved by taking cues from the sophistication and timeless appeal of luxury spas and saunas. Creating a home spa is the perfect way to provide a tranquil retreat that promotes good health and well-being while reducing stress.
Urban, earthy & au naturel, these stunning spaces accomplish their balance and sophistication through layering textures, keeping color schemes to a minimum, and incorporating organic and monochromatic accents. Here, you will find urban, earthy decorating ideas that will bring the essence of nature indoors.
Step into the laid-back allure of California cool and infuse it effortlessly into your home decor. From the sun-soaked shores of Malibu to the vibrant streets of Los Angeles, the essence of California's effortless, eclectic style can grace your living space. Embrace the organic textures, earthy tones, and a blend of indoor-outdoor elements that define California's signature aesthetic.
There are many different interior design styles, and choosing one that resonates with us as individuals can be challenging. Each style has its distinct features and can be customized to fit your taste and lifestyle. Whether you prefer a cozy farmhouse vibe or a sleek and modern look, there is a design style that can help you create the home of your dreams.
Step back in time and add a touch of nostalgia to your home with these charming vintage decorating ideas. Vintage decor is a timeless trend reflecting our appreciation for the past. From antique furniture to retro-inspired accessories, there are countless ways to infuse your space with vintage charm.